Situated right in the middle of the excitement and drama of the city, Well Hotel Bangkok Sukhumvit 20, offers a considered, calm and luxurious respite to the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.
The hotel has 235 well-appointed rooms and is split across two neighbouring buildings, connected by a short sky bridge. However, the hotel’s unique selling point is its emphasis on health and wellbeing, and the executive rooms and suites come with private exercise bikes, yoga equipment and exercise balls. Combined with the rooftop pool, modest air-conditioned gym, stylish restaurant, courteous staff, reasonable price and the generous space in each room, the hotel is a solid choice for travellers keen to keep fit while visiting Thailand’s capital city.
Type – Wellness Lifestyle Hotel
Style & Design – The Well Hotel describe it as “Classic Twist”
Year Opened – 2016
Number of Rooms – 235 rooms and suites
Pets – No
What We Love
- The discreet, courteous staff. The people running the hotel are soothingly attentive and professional, receding into the background when not required, but instantly available as soon as you have a question or need help with something.
- The central location. Set back on Sukhumvit 20, the hotel is the perfect destination for exploring the city, with everywhere being a stone’s throw from your hotel room. If you love shopping, then major malls, such as the international street market themed Terminal 21, can be comfortably strolled to.
- The hotel is stylishly designed, creating a calming ambience for work or pleasure.
- The modest rooftop pool is a sun trap, allowing you to top up your tan between dips in the water.
What You Should Know
- Breakfast is taken in the Eat Well Café, situated on the ground floor Memory Wing restaurant, providing an international cuisine designed to satisfy Eastern and Western guests. In keeping with the hotel’s unique wellness theme, there is a food therapy menu designed to ease the travails of modern urban living, such as office syndrome and sore throat. Whilst I wasn’t suffering from these afflictions, and thus cannot vouch for their verisimilitude or veracity, it is certainly a delicious collection, worthy of trying if you love good food. The breakfast dining space is generous and you should have no problem securing a table even during peak times.
- After 10:30am, lunches and dinners can be taken in the Twist Bar and Bistro, also located on the ground floor Memory Wing. With a seasonally changing menu of bistro food, it is the perfect alternative to striking out into the city. Additionally, the pool bar offers light drinks and snacks throughout the day, and there is 24-hour dining available via room service.
- Whilst extremely close to the 24-hour hubbub of central Bangkok, it is set back sufficiently so that noise is not an issue.
- The hotel offers 45-minute exercise classes, which are free for guests, which include Muay Thai and Aerobic Cardio, and a more intense 25-minute fat-burning class.
My Room Number
If you want to keep fit and healthy whilst visiting Bangkok, then Well Hotel Bangkok should be top of your list for the perfect balance of price, features and convenience.
My room was 651 in the Welcome Wing, an Executive Suite, split into a generous living area, bathroom and bedroom, with one corner adjoining a glass atrium. This created an interesting alternative view, contrasting with the Bangkok cityscape from the bedroom window. With cool wooden floors throughout, the room is sparsely, but stylishly, furnished in calming greys and muted tones with a distinct East meets West feel.
The living area is dominated by a large TV, comfortable sofa and an array of keep fit equipment, including a pro-level exercise bike and activity ball. Off to one side, there is a kitchenette area with kettle, stocked mini-fridge and a small table and two chairs for eating at. There are plenty of built-in storage solutions, with more than enough closet space to completely stow away luggage out of sight.
The bathroom was off the living area and including a large bath and separate shower cubicle. A large window wall allowed views into the bedroom, and from the bedroom into the bathroom. Thankfully there is a blind for those who want to complete their ablutions without an audience. The shower is refreshingly powerful, with a reassuring consistent temperature and flow, setting you up for the start of the day.
The final room in the apartment-style accommodation was the bedroom. With ample space, panelled walls, and views onto the back streets of Bangkok, this is an elegant and stylish way to spend the night. The bedroom also includes a writing desk, with access to both complimentary WIFI and ethernet ports for LAN internet speeds.